In 1862 Henry and Sarah Keller donated land where their young
son Edwin was buried to establish a formal cemetery. Almost immediately
it was populated with reinternments from Silver Lake Cemetery .
After Nunda Township agreed to take over several of the old cemeteries
in 1968, efforts were made to recreate records for the burial grounds
since no known original early records could be found. However,
more recent records recount the usual tragedies interspersed with
the more peaceful deaths of the elderly. It can be daunting to
read through the list and find four young O'Howel siblings who
died in a fire or the three young Grantham's who drowned in a fishing
accident. In the old part there are many unmarked graves along
east driveway which was enlarged to accommodate the potter's field.
The cemetery increased in size in 1971 when Mabel Schroeder donated
a one-acre addition to the north end and a strip along the western
edge to be used as a driveway. This newer area with its modern
markers provides an interesting counterpoint to the weathered old
stones standing guard besides the busy highway.